Home News Wetherspoons accuses customers of ‘pretending’ to be hit after pub ceiling collapses

Wetherspoons accuses customers of ‘pretending’ to be hit after pub ceiling collapses


Paramedics were called to the North and South Bank pub in Wrexham, North Wales, to treat two potentially injured customers who are alleged to have left the scene by the time they arrived. Punters got a shock when part of the boozer’s ceiling came down as gale force winds of up to 80mph struck the town on Friday.

The watering hole had to be evacuated at about 10.20pm after chunks of plaster rained down on revellers.

Footage from inside the pub shows customers rushing to escape falling debris.

Wetherspoons told North Wales Live neither staff nor customers were injured.

However, the pub chain claims some people who were at the bar at the time of the collapse “pretended” to have sustained injuries.

A spokesman for JD Wetherspoons said at 10.23pm the ceiling to the right of the bar came down, staff called the emergency services and evacuated the pub.

He added: “No customers or staff were injured although two customers pretended they had been hit, but when confronted by the police and Wetherspoons staff looking at CCTV, it showed clearly no customers were struck by any debris.”

The Welsh Ambulance Service was called at 10.26pm to reports of two potentially injured customers.

One rapid response vehicle attended the scene but those who had been reported as possibly injured had left by the time paramedics arrived and the team was stood down.


Members of an Oasis tribute band, Noasis, and guests at the remote Tan Hill Inn in the Yorkshire Dales, which is 1,732 feet above sea level, have been trapped inside for three nights due to a blizzard.

Owner Mike Kenny told the Manchester Evening News: “No one is going anywhere yet. Our snowplough is snowed in!”

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) reports significant disruption to services due to infrastructure damage caused by severe weather between Newcastle and Edinburgh.

The route north of Newcastle is closed with Network Rail working to reopen the line as soon as possible.

A “very limited” service is expected to resume between the two cities later today although LNER is advising customers to defer travel plans on the route until Tuesday.

The Tyne and Wear Metro is running from the Airport to Park Lane and from St James to South Shields in both directions after it too was hit by closures although the Park Lane to South Hylton stretch is under repair by Network Rail.

The Met Office has issued no weather warnings for this week although it warns flooding is possible along the rivers Bure, Ant and Thurne in Norfolk and the upper reaches of the River Derwent.

Previous articleThe return of masks: More commuters wear face coverings on trains and buses
Next articleWhen and why did Virgil Abloh create Off-White?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here