The former president told Fox news on Sunday that he wanted the troops to be in Washington, D.C. before the January 6 rally, claiming that the rally would be larger than anticipated. He also claimed that the request for troops was rejected by congressional leaders, including speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi.
Mr Trump also stated that he was not watching the events of the riot unfold in real-time as he had previously reported.
According to his understanding of events, his request was passed along to congressional leaders at the Capitol, including Ms Pelosi.
It was Mr Trump’s impression that the request was rejected because leaders in Congress didn’t like the optics of 10,000 troops at the Capitol.
“So, you know, that was a big mistake,” he said
Former Capitol Police Chief, Steven Sund, told a bipartisan Senate panel last week that he didn’t know about an FBI report that forecasted the chances that extremists could bring “war” to Washington.
Mr Sund and House Sergent-at-Arms, Paul Irving, disagreed on when the request for National Guard support was sent out.
Former White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, told Fox news last month that Trump had issued a “direct order” to have up to 10,000 troops ready.
Mr Trump likened his rally, which occurred directly before the rioters descended on the Capitol, to a “lovefest”.
READ MORE: WW3 hotspots: Which conflicts are top priorities for Joe Biden?
It was the first time he had addressed his supporters since his farewell address on January 20.