Home News Taliban name deputy ministers, double down on all-male team

Taliban name deputy ministers, double down on all-male team

305
0


The Taliban expanded their interim Cabinet by naming deputy ministers Tuesday but failed to appoint any women, doubling down on a hard-line course despite the international outcry that followed their initial presentation of an all-male Cabinet lineup earlier this month.

The international community has warned that it will judge the Taliban by their actions, and that recognition of a Taliban-led government would be linked to the treatment of women and minorities. 

In their previous rule of Afghanistan in the late 1990s, the Taliban had barred girls and women from schools, work, and public life.

VIETNAMESE AMERICANS HELP AFGHAN REFUGEES: ‘WE WERE THEM’

Taliban fighters sit on the back of a pickup truck as they stop on a hillside in Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

Taliban fighters sit on the back of a pickup truck as they stop on a hillside in Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid defended the latest additions to the Cabinet at a news conference Tuesday, saying it included members of ethnic minorities, such as the Hazaras, and that women might be added later.

Mujahid bristled at international conditions for recognition, saying there was no reason for withholding it. 

“It is the responsibility of the United Nations to recognize our government (and) for other countries, including European, Asian and Islamic countries, to have diplomatic relations with us,” he said.

The Taliban have framed their current Cabinet as an interim government, suggesting that change was still possible, but they have not said if there would ever be elections.

ISIS CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR AFGHANISTAN BOMBINGS IN JALALABAD THAT TARGETED TALIBAN

Mujahid was also asked about the recent restrictions imposed on girls and women, including a decision not to allow girls in grades six to 12 to return to classrooms for the time being.

Mujahid suggested this was a temporary decision, and that “soon it will be announced when they can go to school.” He said plans were being made to allow for their return but did not elaborate.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Boys in grades six to 12 resumed their studies over the weekend.

Previous articleTaliban name deputy ministers, double down on all-male team
Next articleArsenal eye swoop for Noa Lang, Messi subbed off in PSG win, Chelsea beat Tottenham REACTION, Kane draws blank

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here