Home Finance PIP claimants may be able to get up to £151 for hearing...

PIP claimants may be able to get up to £151 for hearing loss or other conditions


PIP, or Personal Independence Payment as the benefit is formally known, offers Britons the opportunity to have some of their costs covered if they are living with a health condition or disability. As the Government identifies, for people living with certain conditions, costs may be higher in order to ensure they are getting the support they need. In this sense, PIP is likely to serve as a helping hand to those who need it. 

The sum is currently overseen by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) with Britons getting a regular payment to support them.

PIP is a tax-free payment, and people can be eligible to receive it whether they are in work or not.

PIP payments, though, are based on how a person’s condition or disability affects them, rather than the condition itself.

As a result, a wide range of people will be able to make a claim for PIP and receive financial support.

READ MORE: DWP issues £40,000 ‘MOT’ boost to help Britons save for retirement

One of the issues raised by the Government for PIP payments is help with communication, assistance which may well be necessary for those who are living with hearing loss.

The Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID) has explained that these individuals should enquire into whether they are eligible for PIP. 

The first element of PIP is known as ‘daily living’ and will examine the day-to-day activities a person may find difficult.

These could include tasks such as reading and understanding, engaging with others, managing money, personal hygiene and food preparation.

A person must have had a health condition or a disability where they have had difficulties with daily living or getting around or both for at least three moths.

They must also expect these difficulties to continue on for at least nine months.

PIP claimants must be resident in England, Scotland or Wales and have lived there for at least two of the last three years in most cases.

Individuals will be able to claim PIP by calling the Department for Work and Pensions via telephone or textphone. 

Do you have a money dilemma which you’d like a financial expert’s opinion on? If you would like to ask one of our finance experts a question, please email your query to [email protected]. Unfortunately we cannot respond to every email.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here