Richard Saberton, 71, was rushed to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, on November 5, 2016, after complaining of pain in his neck and shoulders, confusion and difficulty speaking.
Mr Saberton underwent a triage assessment and the results indicated that he was suffering from sepsis – which is when the body attacks itself in response to an infection.
He was not administered antibiotics for another three hours which caused him to have irreversible paralysis.
Just days later, Mr Saberton was unable to walk and had weakened arms- and an MRI scan found he had a spinal abscess that required surgery.
READ MORE:High cholesterol symptoms: Can you smell that? The smelly warning sign
Mr Saberton instructed medical negligence experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his care under the Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs Pinderfields Hospital.
The Trust admitted that he should have received antibiotics within about one hour of being assessed, following protocol.
The legal team successfully secured an undisclosed settlement which will ensure Mr Saberton has access to ongoing specialist therapies and treatment he requires. The funds have also helped provide him and his wife Lynn, 72, with a new home adapted to fit his needs.
Rachelle Mahapatra, who represented Richard, said: “Richard’s life was turned upside down in the space of a few days and he and his family have struggled to come to terms with what happened to him.
“While nothing can change what he has been through, we are pleased to have been able to secure a settlement which will help him access the care he needs to live as independently as possible.
“Through our work, we sadly come across a number of people who have been affected by sepsis. It is vital that people are aware of the symptoms, as early detection and treatment is key to beating it.”
Signs of sepsis include slurred speech, confusion, extreme shivering and muscle pain, passing no urine in a day, severe breathlessness and mottled or discoloured skin.
If you spot any of these symptoms it is important to call 999 or go to A&E immediately as the condition is life threatening.