OSCAR DE LA HOYA’S boxing comeback has been POSTPONED due to the legend being laid-up in hospital after contracting coronavirus.
The 48-year-old has not battled between the ropes since he was stopped by Manny Pacquiao in December 2008.
Oscar De La Hoya has been forced to postpone his comeback fight next week[/caption]
The legend shared a clip from his hospital bed confirming he has Covid-19[/caption]
But he shocked the world earlier this year when he announced he was going to pull on the gloves again after 13 years.
Golden Boy was scheduled to fight ex-UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort in the main event of a Triller Fight Club card next Saturday.
Now he has revealed the showdown is OFF – for now at least – as he posted a video from his hospital bed.
He tweeted: “Wanted you to hear directly from me that despite being fully vaccinated, I have contracted COVID and am not going to be able to fight next weekend.”
The dejected De La Hoya then said in the clip: “What are the chances of me getting Covid?
“I’ve been taking care of myself. This has really, really kicked my ass.”
Most read in Sport
TIME TO HEAL
Eriksen left out of Inter Milan's Champions League squad after cardiac arrest
AIR FORCE RON
Ronaldo's family land in Manchester after taking private jet from Italy
Idiot fan 'Jarvo' ARRESTED after storming pitch to bowl against England
Harry Kane suffers anti-semitic abuse by Hungary yobs after England win
Who was Steffie Gregg and why did Raheem Sterling reveal a shirt with her name on it
Boxer, 18, dies with husband by her side days after being knocked out cold
BETTING SPECIAL – GET 20/1 ON ENGLAND TO BEAT ANDORRA
The former six-weight world champion could now be replaced by a real heavyweight name.
Triller’s Ryan Kavanaugh confirmed they are attempting to secure 58-year-old Evander Holyfield to fill in for him.
Holyfield still has not been approved by the California State Athletic Commission to box.
The Real Deal has not boxed since stopping Brian Nielsen in Denmark in May 2011.
Kavanaugh confirmed that he is attempting to land Holyfield as the replacement and said if California does not approve him then he is willing to switch the fight out of Los Angeles to another location.
He also cryptically hinted that he has another potential opponent in mind, saying: “And more coming.”
Triller are trying to get Evander Holyfield to replace him in the fight against Vitor Belfort[/caption]