Blaming a “thoughtless minority”, City council leader councillor David Mellen said: “We have taken steps to prevent a repeat of the appalling scenes we witnessed at the Arboretum on Monday evening.
“Today, the Arboretum is closed along with Lenton Recreation Ground where similar problems arose.
“We regret having to take this action, since everyone has been looking forward to the chance to visit our parks, now that easing of restrictions means we can meet up to six other people outdoors.
“Sadly, the actions of a thoughtless minority has spoilt that. We will keep the situation under review and hope to reopen parks as soon as possible.
The Forest recreation ground remains open and is a larger, safer space where people can spread out more easily.
“It is unacceptable and unsustainable for our already thinly-stretched crews to have to be redeployed from work in communities across our city to clear up mess left behind at our parks.
“We have added extra bins – and we implore people to take their rubbish away with them if these become full and dispose of it responsibly.
“At our other parks, we have increased patrols of community protection officers who, along with police officers, will continue to rigorously enforce the ban on drinking in public spaces that’s in place across Nottingham.
“None of this would be necessary if people took their own personal responsibility seriously, especially at a time when we need to be much more cautious in the way we behave and follow the gradual lifting of restrictions, if we are to hope to put this pandemic behind us.”
Speaking yesterday on the hottest day of the year so far, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: “Let’s enjoy the sun but let’s do it safely. We have come so far. Don’t blow it now.”
(More to follow)