Home U.K Mum and teenage daughter found dead just days apart in 'complete shock'

Mum and teenage daughter found dead just days apart in 'complete shock'


Rhianne Halton with her mum Jeanette Whittle

Rhianne Halton is pictured with her mum Jeanette Whittle (Image: Supplied)

Rhianne Halton, 19, had given birth to her second child just six weeks before she ended her life at her home. Postnatal services had been significantly impacted by the first coronavirus pandemic lockdown which meant face-to-face after birth visits could not be carried out.

Rhianne’s inquest on Wednesday heard she took her own life, leaving a note for her kids telling them she loved them and that “daddy will look after you,” reports Devon Live.

Just 19 days later, Rhianne’s heartbroken mum Jeanette Whittle, 44, suffered a fatal overdose. She had suffered a previous overdose on May 20, 2020, just 10 days after her daughter’s death.

Barbara and Graham Whittle – Jeanette’s parents and Rhianne’s grandparents – had to endure the heartbreak of having to sit through separate inquests into their deaths on Wednesday at Plymouth Coroner’s Court.

Stephen Covell, assistant coroner for the area, recorded a conclusion of suicide for Rhianne’s death and a conclusion of drug-related death for Jeanette.

Referring to the daughter, Mr Covell said: “I don’t find any deficiencies or failings by health services or anyone that would have had any material effect on the day Rhianne took her life.

“The deceased intended to take her life. She suffered mental health problems, attributable to childhood trauma, and was in acute distress due to relationship difficulties.”

Rhianne Halton

Rhianne was ‘lovely and loved to have a laugh’ (Image: Supplied)

Referring to Jeanette, the coroner said: “She probably knew it was quite a significant quantity of drugs. She may have wanted to blot out the memory and stress of her daughter’s suicide, and the events on May 20 seemed to be a rehearsal for that.

“To go as far as saying intended to take her life, I am not persuaded by that.”

A double funeral was held for Rhianne and Jeanette last year.

“Rhianne was lovely and loved to have a laugh, but sadly she did suffer from mental health issues which started when she was at school. Although she had a few problems she was always happy,” grieving gran Barbara said after the inquest.

“Her death was a complete shock. I knew she had post-natal depression but she wouldn’t let me take her to the doctors because she was worried her children would be taken away from her.”

Jeanette Whittle

Jeanette Whittle suffered a fatal overdose (Image: Supplied)

Paying tribute to Jeanette, Barbara said: “She was a wonderful daughter, even when she was into drugs. She got in with a bad crowd and had tried to come off the drugs but couldn’t in the end.

“She did have some lovely friends and she really did love Rhianne, but she just couldn’t look after her.

“After Rhianne’s death she was devastated. She had been trying to get off the drugs again, and wanted to for her grandchildren.

“Both she and Rhianne would come here every Sunday for lunch before lockdown. They both adored the boys.

“I really don’t know if Jeanette’s overdose was intentional or not. I like to think it might have been an accident.

“Their deaths so close to each other has been very, very upsetting. Every day that sadness is there.”

Jeanette Whittle funeral

A double funeral was held last year (Image: Supplied)

The inquest was told Rhianne had a long history of mental health problems due to a ‘difficult childhood’ which saw her being raised by her devoted grandparents.

Her schooling had been affected by bullying, which was said to have been due to her peers knowing about her mother’s drug addiction.

Rhianne, who had hopes of becoming a hairdresser, gave birth to her second son on March 30, 2020. There was no indication of any mental health problems afterwards during phone conversations with midwives and health visitors.

DC Jenny Hazelwood, the officer in charge of the investigation, told the inquest that on the morning of Rhianne’s death on May 10, 2020, she had argued with her partner at their home in Torquay, Devon.

He discovered she had ended her life when he returned back to the property at 1.35pm, after receiving text messages which gave him cause for concern.

A serious incident review report following Rhianne’s death concluded it had demonstrated the importance of face-to-face contact, particular for more vulnerable women.

Due to fast-changing national guidelines, it was assured that face-to-face appointments have resumed and continued during lockdown.

The review concluded Rhianne’s death could not have been prevented, and that professionals had observed she had a ‘very positive’ relationship with her children.

A Devon Partnership Trust consultant perinatal psychiatrist stated she believed Rhianne’s actions were a spontaneous reaction to the situation she was in on the day she died.

Jeanette was found dead on her bed at her home in Kingskerswell, Devon, on May 29, 2020.

Medical records stated a long history of drug dependence, and that she had been receiving support from the Together Drug and Alcohol team.

It was noted she had been admitted to hospital on May 20 after overdosing on medication she had taken with alcohol.

Her GP told how she had admitted to suffering a “bit of a breakdown” but had not intended to kill herself and instead had wanted to “calm herself down”.

Her dad told in a statement how she had studied to be a chef at South Devon College and had previously worked at The Barn Owl in Kingskerswell before being introduced to drugs.

Mr Whittle recalled: “She was no longer the bubbly girl we knew. In 1995 she came to me for help and said she was addicted to heroin.”

Jeanette went on to have periods of being off drugs, but shortly after the birth of her daughter Rhianne she relapsed. Due to her chaotic lifestyle, Rhianne lived with Jeanette’s parents, but mum and daughter remained in regular contact.

Recalling how Jeanette had been following Rhianne’s death, Graham said: “I think she probably resorted to drugs as it was the only way she knew how to cope.”

He added that the last time they had spoken on the phone she had seemed her normal self, but had been leaving personal items at their house such as photographs.

However, the inquest heard Jeanette had been forward planning such as having gone shopping the day before she was found, and did not leave a note.

Graham said: “I did not think she would take own life. I thought she would want to stay alive for her grandchildren so we have been left shocked and devastated by her death.”

A post mortem examination confirmed the cause of her death was mixed drug toxicity. It was stated she had taken potentially fatal levels of cocaine, heroin and methadone.

The Samaritans can be reached round the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it’s best to call them on the phone. You can reach them by calling 116 123, by emailing [email protected] or by visiting www.samaritans.org


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here