According to Gayle King, Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry had a contingency plan for their explosive Oprah Winfrey interview, which aired on CBS during Prince Philip’s hospitalization.
Though many criticized the couple for speaking out against the royal family while Harry’s 99-year-old grandfather, Prince Philip, was in the hospital, King, who is a friend of Winfrey’s and the Sussexes’, said the couple was aware of Philip’s situation and had a plan to delay the interview if his health were to take a turn for the worse.
“Just so you know, they had done that interview before Prince Philip went into the hospital, and if something, God forbid, had happened to him, the interview would not have run at this particular time,” King told a caller during her Sirius XM show “Gayle King in the House” on March 11.
The “CBS This Morning” host added that the interview “was done and was scheduled before (Philip) went into the hospital, but a lot of people have raised that point.”
USA TODAY has reached out to CBS for comment.
Philip, who is husband of Queen Elizabeth II, left King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on Tuesday after being treated for an infection and undergoing a heart procedure. He had been hospitalized since Feb. 16.
A representative for Harry and Meghan had no comment.
King has offered insight about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in the wake of the Winfrey special. On “CBS This Morning” Tuesday, King said she recently caught up with the couple to see “how they were feeling” since the interview.
Prince Philip, 99, leaves hospital after treatment for an infection, heart procedure
According to King, Harry has talked to his brother Prince William and his father Prince Charles since the interview, but their conversations have been less than stellar.
“The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive,” she said. “But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.”
King added the couple is upset the palace “keeps saying they want to work it out privately” while refusing “to intervene and tell the press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant” about Meghan. She also said no one in the royal family has spoken with the duchess since the interview.
“I think it’s going to be hard to move forward,” King said. “But they both want to move forward with this. They want healing in this family. At the end of the day, that is Harry’s family.”
Two of the most significant allegations Meghan made during the couple’s interview with Winfrey concerned the palace’s alleged indifference to her mental health struggles, as well as her claim that unnamed palace officials expressed “concern” over “how dark” their son Archie’s skin would be before he was born.
“Meghan has documents to back up everything that she said on Oprah’s interview. Everything,” King said on Tuesday’s “CBS This Morning.”
‘I didn’t want to be alive anymore’: Duchess Meghan opens up in Oprah interview, more major moments
Contributing: Hannah Yasharoff, USA TODAY, and The Associated Press