Manchester City star Benjamin Mendy ‘had a meltdown when he arrived in jail awaiting his rape trial – because he thought he would be put on the VIP wing’
- Benjamin Mendy allegedly had a meltdown after he arrived at HMP Altcourse
- Footballer mistakenly believed he would be housed in a VIP wing for celebrities
- Mendy has been charged with four counts of rape and one of sexual assault
Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy allegedly had a meltdown after he arrived in prison because he mistakenly thought he would be housed in a ‘VIP wing’.
The 27-year-old, who is charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against three people, was told by guards he would be placed in the VP wing for vulnerable prisoners after he arrived at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool on Friday.
However the footballer mistakenly assumed he would be housed in a VIP wing for celebrity figures at the Category B jail and was left experiencing a ‘rude awakening’ when he realised this was not the case.
A source told The Sun: ‘When Mendy arrived staff explained he was going to be kept on the VP wing for his own safety.’
Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy reportedly thought he would be housed in a ‘VIP wing’ when he arrived at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool on Friday
They added: ‘He had a rude awakening when he saw the cell and realised who he was going to be mixing with.
‘He wasn’t happy and it was a very sobering experience for him.’
The footballer who plays at left-back for the Premier League champions, was last week charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against three people last week.
Mendy, who also plays for the French national team, was immediately suspended by the club pending an investigation.
The five charges against the star relate to three people aged over 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October last year and this month.
Mendy, who was born in Longjumeau in the Paris suburbs, has played for Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52million.
Last week a Cheshire Constabulary spokesman said: ‘The Crown Prosecution Service has authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge a man in connection with allegations of sexual assault.
‘Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
‘The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.
The footballer is charged with four counts of rape and one of sexual assault against three people
Prison guards at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool told the footballer he would be placed in the VP wing for vulnerable prisoners
‘Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday, August 27.
‘Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.
‘It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings.’
A Man City spokesman said: ‘Manchester City can confirm that, following his being charged by police, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
‘The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.’
Mendy will appear at Chester crown court on September 10.