Home News Man held on $1.5M bail after causing crash that killed 96-year-old woman...

Man held on $1.5M bail after causing crash that killed 96-year-old woman in Connecticut

A man is being held on $1.5 million bail after he blew through a stop sign and slammed into a car traversing an intersection, killing a 96-year-old woman, police in Griswold, Conn., said Monday.

The victim, Charlotte DeGrado, was a passenger in the backseat of a GMC Acadia SUV that got t-boned by Franklin Barry Post, 35, of Bozrah, Conn., the Stamford Advocate reported. He and whoever else was in his car fled on foot.

Police arrived at 4:46 p.m. Sunday to find an empty gold Audi with damage in the front and the driver’s side door wide open. The GMC was nearby with its airbags deployed, the Advocate reported.

Degrado was alive, conscious and complaining of severe back pain when cops arrived, according to court documents obtained by the Advocate. She was brought to a hospital but died a little more than an hour later. Her son-in-law was driving the SUV and told police he had stopped at the four-way intersection, then continued through when the speeding Audi smashed into him, police said in a report filed with the court.

Inside the Audi were a knife, pot paraphernalia, unopened booze bottles, prescription drugs with Post’s name on them and a bottle full of blue oval pills that turned out to be fentanyl, police said. When he was found hours later in woods in Jewett City, Post admitted he had consumed “intoxicating substances,” WTNH-TV reported. He had also messed with his ankle bracelet and was carrying $4,000 in cash.

Surveillance photos from the intersection and witness accounts and photos plus items found in the car led authorities to Post. He was charged with criminal mischief, violation of conditions of release, interfering, possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, operating under the influence, and evading responsibility resulting in death, WTNH reported.

Post appeared in State Superior Court in Norwich on Monday from his hospital bed, the Advocate reported, and a judge increased his bond from its initial $1 million to $1.5 million.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here