Home News Man convicted in 2001 Dartmouth College murders released from prison

Man convicted in 2001 Dartmouth College murders released from prison

A man convicted for his role in the stabbing deaths of two Dartmouth College professors in 2001 has been released from prison.

James Parker was just 16 when he and his best friend, 17-year-old Robert Tulloch, fatally stabbed Half and Susanne Zantop in Hanover, N.H.

The shocking crime was part of a plan by the two teenagers, who wanted to kill and rob people before relocating to Australia.

The two friends posed as students conducting a survey when they knocked on the door of the Zantops. Susanne was the chair of the German studies department at Dartmouth College, while Half taught in the school’s earth science department.

Parker and Tullock then fatally stabbed the couple and fled with $340. They were arrested in Indiana a few weeks later.

Parker pleaded guilty to being an accomplice to second-degree murder in 2004 and was sentenced to 25 years in prison, with credit for the 410 days he had already served.

In April, after serving nearly the minimum term of his sentence, the 39-year-old was granted parole.

“I know there’s not an amount of time or things that I can do to change [what I did] or alleviate any pain that I’ve caused,” he said during the parole hearing, calling his actions “unimaginably horrible.”

On Friday, Parker’s attorney Cathy Green said her client was released with a condition of a “no contact” order with the Zantop family.

Parker will remain under supervision until 2098, local television station WMUR reported.

Man convicted in 2001 killing of 2 Dartmouth professors released from prison

AP Photo

James Parker listens to the parole board decision during his parole hearing, Thursday, April 18, 2024, in Concord, N.H. Parker, who served more than half of his life in prison for his role in the 2001 stabbing deaths of two married Dartmouth College professors as part of a plan to rob and kill people before fleeing overseas has been granted parole

Tulloch, who’s now 41, pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder. Even though he received a sentence of life in prison without parole, he’s set to be resentenced in July due to a 2012 Supreme Court ruling that deemed it was unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life in prison without parole.

With News Wire Services


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here