Home Sports Man City star Benjamin Mendy is refused bail over rape charges

Man City star Benjamin Mendy is refused bail over rape charges

206
0


Man City star Benjamin Mendy is refused bail over rape charges after ‘jail meltdown because he thought VP wing meant VIP’

  • 27-year-old has been charged with four counts of rape and one sexual assault 
  • Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett refused bail application
  • Earlier this week allegedly got confused between VIP and ‘vulnerable persons’ 


Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy was today refused bail ahead of a potential trial on rape charges – amid reports he had a ‘meltdown’  in prison because he mistakenly thought he would be housed in a ‘VIP wing’.

The 27-year-old, who is charged with four counts of rape and one sexual assault, was told by guards at HMP Altcourse in Merseyside after he arrived there last Friday that he would be placed in the VP wing for vulnerable prisoners. 

However the footballer mistakenly assumed he would be housed in a VIP wing for celebrity figures at the Category B jail and was left experiencing a ‘rude awakening’ when he realised this was not the case, it is claimed. 

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy reportedly thought he would be housed in a 'VIP wing' when he arrived at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool on Friday

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy reportedly thought he would be housed in a ‘VIP wing’ when he arrived at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool on Friday

A source told The Sun: ‘When Mendy arrived staff explained he was going to be kept on the VP wing for his own safety.

‘He had a rude awakening when he saw the cell and realised who he was going to be mixing with.

‘He wasn’t happy and it was a very sobering experience for him.’ 

Today, another bail application was made at Chester Crown Court in a hearing held behind closed doors, which lasted about 50 minutes.

Mendy, who also plays for the French national team, did not attend court.

Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett refused the application, a court spokesman said.

Mendy is charged with attacks on three different women, including one under 18, at his home in Prestbury, Cheshire.

The footballer is charged with four counts of rape and one of sexual assault against three people

The footballer is charged with four counts of rape and one of sexual assault against three people

Three of the rapes are alleged to have taken place in October 2020 and he is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in early January this year.

He is also charged with raping a woman last month.

The footballer, who has been suspended by the club pending investigation, is due to appear at Chester Crown Court on September 10.

A second man, aged 40, was arrested on suspicion of rape as part of the police investigation into the allegations but was released on bail, Cheshire Constabulary said. 

The footballer, who has been suspended by the club pending investigation, is due to appear at Chester Crown Court on September 10. 

Prison guards at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool told the footballer he would be placed in the VP wing for vulnerable prisoners

Prison guards at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool told the footballer he would be placed in the VP wing for vulnerable prisoners

Advertisement

Previous article‘I’m embarrassed’: Warning as woman falls for convincing Royal Mail postage fee scam
Next articleOne alcoholic drink raises risk of irregular heartbeat: study suggests

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here