Painting your walls and fixing blocked drains are easy DIY tasks that beginners can tackle without professional help, but don’t be fooled into thinking you can do it all. Some DIY jobs are too dangerous for the untrained hand. Express.co.uk chatted to the experts at LeaseVan.co.uk to find out which DIY jobs you should avoid doing alone.
Lockdown has triggered a DIY craze, with homeowners attempting to totally redo their homes without professional help.
No matter how many internet tutorials you watch, you shouldn’t put yourself and your home at risk.
To avoid horror stories of half-destroyed walls, inhaling toxic fumes and electric sparks flying, sometimes you need to admit defeat and hire help.
A spokesperson for LeaseVan.co.uk said: “Some jobs might be an easy feat, but other tasks around the home can be particularly dangerous and are best left to the trained professional.
“Directories of fully qualified tradespeople can be found online, and it is best to at least seek advice before taking on any of the bigger jobs around the house.
“Larger tasks can put you in a lot of danger so it isn’t worth attempting to tackle them alone. It is better to stay on the safe side when dealing with roofs, electrics and gas supplies.”
Here are the six jobs to leave to the experts.
READ MORE- Towel folding hack: How to get that ‘luxury hotel feeling’
You might be able to unclog your loo, but you should leave the hard plumbing work to a professional.
LeaseVan’s spokesperson said: “Handy people will be well within their capability to change a showerhead or fix a leaking faucet, however, they should take a step back if it involves any more graft.
“While it isn’t particularly dangerous work, plumbing problems can get out of hand fast because where there is a way out, water will find it.
“Call a professional when pipes need modifying, sewer pipes need redirecting or baths need fitting to avoid floods and the damage that comes with them.”
Asbestos needs to be removed to avoid developing a serious lung condition called asbestosis or even lung cancer.
The naturally occurring mineral was used for years to insulate and fireproof homes but it was found to be toxic in the 1980s.
Asbestos is not an immediate danger but you should hire a professional to safely remove it from your home and dispose of it.
The experts explained that you should never attempt to remove it yourself because “asbestos poses a risk to everyone around them when broken or deteriorated and is classed in law as hazardous waste.”
Never knock down a wall by yourself – this is a job for a professional.
LeaseVan’s experts said: “Inside walls are risky to demolish, as homeowners never know what is hiding behind them – unless they built it themselves. Call on a structural engineer for advice before deciding on knocking down anything internally.”
The professional will consider the possibility of electrical wiring or plumbing pipes running through the wall and you aren’t qualified to make decisions regarding these things.
In some scenarios, the wall may be load-bearing, meaning it supports the upper levels of your house and stops the whole building from becoming structurally unsound.
DIY shiplap walls: How to install shiplap on wall [INFORMER]
DIY wall panelling – a simple guide to creating your own wall panels [INSIGHT]
Interior design hacks: Five tricks to increase the value of your home [EXPLAINER]
Electricity is usually the last thing a person can see or smell, but the first thing they can feel when something goes wrong. Never try to fix an electrical problem without a professional.
The experts at LeaseVan said: “Any project that requires dealing with electricity should be handled with care and all power should be turned off, even when changing a light fitting.
“Live wires can cause a lot of danger and harm when touched by people who do not know what they are doing.
“Jobs that are absolutely off-limits include changing power-points, installing downlights, replacing a meter or attempting to rewire anything around the home.”
Like water, gas will always find a place to leak if possible, the experts said.
They explained: “Even the simplest maintenance job to an oven or pipe carrying gas could lead to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It is best practice in the event of any kind of gas leak to shut off an incoming gas source, blow out any live flames and call the 24-hour Gas Emergency Services line.
“The best thing to do whilst waiting for a professional is to open any doors and windows to allow the gas to escape.”