JEOPARDY! fans slammed the show for “not addressing” disgraced Mike Richards hosting the first week of “awkward” season 38 premiere.
The 46-year-old filmed one week of the popular game show before her stepped down.
Jeopardy! was slammed for ‘not addressing’ why Mike Richards is hosting the show’s season premiere[/caption]
Fans slammed his debut as ‘awkward’[/caption]
Jeopardy viewers didn’t hold back as they slammed the host and show[/caption]
While Mike quit his role as host last month, he filmed one week worth of episodes.
His first episode of Jeopardy! premiered on Monday, while many fans rushed to Twitter to slam the show for “not addressing” his appearance.
One fan wrote: “#Jeopardy didn’t even bother addressing the Mike Richards situation before the show started. Yikes.”
Another added: “They’re not going to address the Richards’ shaped elephant in the room?????!!!!!”
A third chimed in: “Awkward seeing Mike Richards coming out to host #Jeopardy. No crawl or disclaimer. Thought there could be creative editing to work around eps he did. Take a deep breath, he’s only there a week.”
Others criticized Mike’s hosting, as one person commented: “Thank f**k Mike Richards didn’t get this full time gig, he sucks even apart from the hideous podcast s**t.”
An additional viewer wondered: “So how many episodes with Mike at the helm do we have to suffer through?”
A following person commented: “This has got to be the most awkward season premiere of #Jeopardy! ever.”
While addressing the disgraced host, another person wrote: “Mike? i thought we made it clear we don’t want you here.”
Many agreed the episode was “awkward,” with one fan adding: “How many episodes do we have with Mike Richards? This is super awkward lol.”
One fan pointed out that they view Mike differently after he stepped down as host, writing: “It’s weird watching #Jeopardy with Mike Richards now.”
After being a frontrunner in the search to replaced longtime host Alex Trebek, Mike was named permanent host of Jeopardy on August 11.
However, drama quickly ensued when he was accused of calling a female co-host a “slut” on his old podcast.
Most read in Entertainment
ON THE LUCE
Love Island’s Lucinda cosies up to footballer ex she claimed she'd split from
Angry Lisa Armstrong lashes out at ex Ant McPartlin's team after NTAs win
Khloe Kardashian posts cryptic message after being 'banned from the Met Gala'
actions speak louder
Eamonn Holmes likes series of shady tweets slamming Phillip Schofield
Amy Childs opens up about 'genius' son Ritchie and why he'll NEVER be on Towie
hanging on the phone
Towie’s Chloe explains the night she left Lockie ‘100 missed calls'
Mike previously made controversial comments about his co-host Beth Triffon during the The Randumb Show podcast.
According to The Ringer, Beth- who served as his co-host and was his former assistant- previously discussed working as a model at the CES during one episode.
Following her comments, Mike, 46, dubbed Beth as a “booth ho,” “booth slut” and “boothstitute.”
In another episode, Mike discussed a photo of Beth and her friends as he called the group “really frumpy and overweight” and said “they all look terrible in the picture … they look fat and not good in the picture.”
Additionally rumors spread that he contributed to “toxic” behavior on The Price Is Right set.
MIKE STEPS DOWN
In light of the backlash, Mike announced he was stepping down as host on August 20.
“It pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy! as we look to start a new chapter,” Mike said in a statement.
“As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to be asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled by the opportunity to expand my role,” the statement continued.
“However, over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show.
“As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately. As a result, we will be canceling production today,” the statement read.
Despite reports that Mike reportedly was staying on as executive producer after stepping down as host, Suzanne Prete, the executive vice president of business and strategy for Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune released a statement on August 31.
“I’m writing to let you know that Mike will no longer be serving as EP (executive producer) of Wheel (of Fortune) and Jeopardy! effective immediately,” she wrote.
“We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at Jeopardy! it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks.
“That clearly has not happened,” she continued.
She announced Michael Davies from Embassy Row will step in until further notice.
Mike filmed one week of episodes before stepping down as host[/caption]
He was hired to take over the role of beloved host Alex Trebek[/caption]