Home World Jay Slater latest: Dad gives heart-wrenching seven-word update on Tenerife search

Jay Slater latest: Dad gives heart-wrenching seven-word update on Tenerife search


Jay Slater’s father Warren has issued a heartbreaking seven-word update on the search for his son after Tenerife police abandoned their efforts.

Jay went missing over three weeks ago, on June 17, near Masca in the north of the island – an 11-hour walk from his accommodation in Los Cristianos.

His disappearance prompted a mammoth search of the mountainous area, but Tenerife’s Civil Guard eventually called it off after finding nothing.

This left Jay’s family and members of the public continuing with their own search parties, and they have now been focussing their efforts on Santiago del Teide – which was previously the location of a possible sighting of Jay.

His father Warren and brother Zak have been combing the rocky terrain, with Warren issuing a heartbreaking seven-word update on the state of the ongoing search. He said: “We’re going round and round in circles.”

He told the Mirror: “Tell me where I look, I can only go off the last sighting, the woman in that restaurant saw him going the wrong way. Which human being lets a young boy go the wrong way? Everything stinks. It’s just a riddle and I don’t know the answer.

“My starting position, I’ve said this from day one, ask the two men who’ve taken him. And then start from there. If you and me in England had taken a young girl to the Lake District, do you think they would have let us go back to Spain?

“We’re going round and round in circles. The Spanish police, you can’t go screaming and shouting at them because they don’t do anything. If you start screaming and shouting they won’t do anything even more. If they want to go and search a house they have to go to court first.”

Warren and Zak are searching Santiago del Teide just over two weeks after CCTV footage revealed a figure that they thought could be Jay.

It came after witnesses said they saw the 19-year-old sitting outside a church on a bench with two men in Santiago del Teide – 3.5 miles from his last known location.

It has not been confirmed whether the figure in the CCTV footage was Jay, but his family continue to scour the area and implore British police to help.

Warren told The Sun: “As a family, we need to ask the British authorities to help. He’s a British citizen. Get Interpol involved. At the moment, it’s just us.

“I haven’t got a team. We need a team to come over here and find out for us what the police are doing and what we need to do. Our hands are tied over here – we need experts. It’ll take an army 10 years to cover all this.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here