Home Sports Jamaal Lascelles admits that Newcastle stars must accept the blame for Steve...

Jamaal Lascelles admits that Newcastle stars must accept the blame for Steve Bruce's sacking

118
0


Jamaal Lascelles admits that Newcastle stars must accept the blame for Steve Bruce’s sacking as Magpies captain insists stars need to ‘be accountable’ after a dismal start to the campaign under the axed boss

  • Jamaal Lascelles says Newcastle stars must take the blame for Bruce’s sacking 
  • The 60-year-old was dismissed earlier this week after a dismal run of results 
  • Captain Lascelles admits that players need to be ‘accountable’ for the sacking
  • He says trip to Crystal Palace represents a chance to start with a ‘clean slate’


Jamaal Lascelles has admitted that Newcastle’s players are at fault for Steve Bruce’s sacking as the Magpies captain said that abysmal performances ‘put a lot of heat’ on the axed manager.

Bruce, 60, was dismissed this week after overseeing a poor start to the campaign on Tyneside, with Newcastle winless in their opening eight league games while boasting the worst defensive record in the top flight.

The Magpies sit in 19th position and the next manager will be tasked with staving off relegation and setting the foundations for a prosperous new era under the club’s new Saudi owners.

Jamaal Lascelles says Newcastle players must accept responsibility for Steve Bruce's axing

Jamaal Lascelles says Newcastle players must accept responsibility for Steve Bruce’s axing

And Lascelles says that players must be ‘accountable’ for their role in Bruce’s departure, adding that there has been plenty of uncertainty in the dressing room given the recent developments at the club.  

‘When we are performing as we do it is going to put a lot of heat on the manager,’ Lascelles said via The Mirror.

‘We need to be accountable and look at ourselves as well because there comes a point when it doesn’t matter who is in charge, if the collective as players are not doing it, it doesn’t matter.

Bruce, 60, was dismissed earlier this week following an abysmal run of results at Newcastle

Bruce, 60, was dismissed earlier this week following an abysmal run of results at Newcastle

Lascelles says that the players need to be 'accountable' for Bruce's demise at St James' Park

Lascelles says that the players need to be ‘accountable’ for Bruce’s demise at St James’ Park

‘We are all looking at the social media and stuff. Uncertainty doesn’t help when you don’t know if the manager is staying or going. A lot of things have happened recently.

‘He is a well respected man and 1000 games as a manager says a lot in itself. The time here we had a lot of ups and downs. That is part of football. 

‘I would like to wish Steve all the best to him and his family in what he does next. Graeme [Jones] is in charge. That is done. There are no excuses or thinking otherwise.’

He added life under caretaker boss Graeme Jones is a 'clean slate' for the beleaguered side

He added life under caretaker boss Graeme Jones is a ‘clean slate’ for the beleaguered side

While Newcastle’s new owners continue their search for a new manager – with Paolo Fonseca, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard linked – Bruce’s former assistant Jones will be caretaker manager for this weekend’s trip to Crystal Palace.

Lascelles says that the game at Selhurst Park offers the players a chance to start again with a ‘clean slate’.

‘The minute Graeme walked in the door he got a lot of respect from the boys,’ Lascelles said. ‘He is a football man, tactically good. It is fantastic. I hope he can turn things round on Saturday. We have worked hard in training. 

‘It is a clean slate for everyone and people need to impress and it will be interesting to see what happens.’ 

Advertisement

Previous articleCheapest energy deals only £11 lower than price cap
Next articleMordecai throws 3 more TDs, No. 21 SMU beats Tulane 55-26

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here