SOCIAL media giant WhatsApp was experiencing problems on Tuesday, December 14, 2021.
Users reported the social media app was not working on iPhones.
We explain how to check Whatsapp for problems or outages[/caption]
Is WhatsApp down?
At around 7:12pm EST on Tuesday, December 14, 2021, some iPhone users complained WhatsApp was not working.
Some users reported the app was down and some said they had issues responding to messages or looking at their contact list.
Users reported issues with the social networking apps on the rival website Twitter, and DownDetector.
It’s not immediately clear what caused the issue.
WhatsApp has not as of the time of this article being published responded to the reports of the outage.
Is WhatsApp down? Issues, outages and errors explained
WhatsApp crashes for Apple iPhone users globally as customers complain online
TALK TO ME
WhatsApp just changed how voice notes work forever – check yours now
OVER AND OUT
WhatsApp is blocking MILLIONS of people from seeing your private info today
I'm a tech whizz and I've found three WhatsApp tricks that will blow your mind
You can now send cryptocurrency to pals over WhatsApp – here's how to do it
How can I check if WhatsApp is down?
Those who may be experiencing difficulties with WhatsApp can check other social media apps, such as rival Twitter, for reports.
If you don’t have a Twitter account Down Detector will tell users when the apps are down or experiencing difficulties.
If it appears the problem may not be widespread, try checking the internet connection on your device or exiting the app before logging back in.
When else has WhatsApp been down?
WhatsApp first arrived on our screens in February 2009 and as of 2021 it has two billion monthly active users.
Facebook and Instagram commonly experience small individual outages, but it’s rare for the apps to all go down at once.
They run on a shared infrastructure meaning other services run by Facebook will experience server issues, including the Oculus website and Facebook Workplace.
Here’s when WhatsApp outages have been reported:
- March 2019 – Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp all went down in what was described at the times as “its worst outage ever”. The issue was put down to a server configuration change..
- July 3, 2019 – Users reported issues on Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, with the latter experiencing difficulties with receiving messages. A FB spokesperson said a “routine maintenance operation” accidentally triggered a bug.
- March 19, 2021 – Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp reported issues
- October 4, 2021 – Facebook’s biggest-ever outage takes other apps, such as WhatsApp, offline for seven hours. The crash came after a “bungled server update”.
- October 5, 2021 – DownDetector records thousands of users again reporting issues with Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.
- December 14, 2021 – iPhone users reported issues with WhatsApp.