INDIANAPOLIS – The man accused of killing three adults and a 7-year-old girl in Indianapolis on Saturday night told police he began shooting everyone inside a home after an argument over a stimulus check, court records show.
Malik Halfacre, 25, was taken into custody a day after police say he shot and killed Anthony Johnson, 35; Dequan Moore, 23; Eve Moore, 7; and Tomeeka Brown, 44.
A survivor of the shooting – who family said shared a daughter with Halfacre – was shot in the back during the incident and directed police to the residence Saturday night.
Halfacre said in an interview with police that he and his daughter’s mother “were arguing because he wanted some of her stimulus check,” according to a probable cause affidavit.
He told investigators that, after he shot everyone inside the home, he took the money and his daughter’s mother’s purse and car before leaving.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police deputy chief of investigations, Craig McCartt, on Monday announced Halfacre had been preliminarily charged with four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and one count of robbery.
The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office will determine a final charging decision.
What if you had your choice of COVID-19 vaccine? Differences are small, but they do exist
Hours after the shooting, baby found safe at Halfacre’s sister’s home
The discovery of the victims was followed by the search for a 6-month-old girl, who is the child of Malik Halfacre and the surviving victim and was reported missing from the home, according to police.
The baby was found safe Sunday morning after Malik Halfacre’s sister called police to report she had the missing child, records show. The sister told police her brother “had knocked on the door, came inside and dropped off the baby and all the baby’s stuff before leaving.”
She also told investigators “that Mr. Halfacre admitted to killing four people and told her details about how it happened,” the affidavit says.
Police learned Sunday afternoon that Halfacre sought a friend’s help and was hiding at a home.
After hours of trying to persuade him to exit the home – efforts that included the use of tear gas – a police SWAT team entered and found Halfacre hiding in the attic, where he was taken into custody without incident.
A restraining order filed against Malik Halfacre
Court records show Halfacre was not allowed to be at the residence where the shooting took place – or in contact with the surviving victim.
A restraining order petitioned by his daughter’s mother and granted by a judge Oct. 6, 2020, prohibits Halfacre from going near the woman’s home and says he cannot contact the woman, either directly or indirectly.
The woman in the filing indicated she had been “a victim of domestic or family violence” and repeatedly harassed by Halfacre. She noted Halfacre had threatened to cause her physical harm.
In an incident from May 20, 2020, the woman said she and Halfacre “got into a verbal argument” that ended when Halfacre “got mad” and shot her car at least eight times, according to the filing, which includes a photograph of a car with multiple bullet holes.
The woman listed another incident from Sept. 3, 2020, in which she allowed Halfacre to see their daughter.
“He was here for about 30 minutes to an hour,” she wrote. “He got mad because I picked her up and next morning I came out to go to (a) gas station and noticed all my tires were slashed & there was sugar in my gas tank.”
The most recent killings follow the Jan. 24 mass shooting in Indianapolis, which was the city’s largest mass killing over a decade. In that shooting – which reportedly began after a dispute between father and son – Kezzie Childs, 42; Raymond Childs, 42; Elijah Childs, 18; Rita Childs, 13; Kiara Hawkins, 19; and Hawkins’ unborn baby boy were shot and killed.
Raymond Ronald Lee Childs III, 17, was arrested on suspicion of six counts of murder, which includes Hawkins’ unborn child, attempted murder and carrying a handgun without a license. Under Indiana law, he will be tried as an adult.
Many of those who Childs is accused of killed were his own family members.
COVID-19 fueled a domestic violence crisis:Now, the stimulus bill could help women and children leave abusers
‘Domestic violence is real’
IMPD Chief Randal Taylor at a press conference Monday called the killings “heinous crimes” and issued a plea for community members struggling to deal with violence to speak out.
“This past weekend our community experienced another great loss,” Taylor said.
“We cannot afford to become a community that’s afraid to ask or seek help when we need it,” he added. “Domestic violence is real. … As a community, we must continue to work together to solve these issues.”
McCartt, the deputy chief of investigations, pointed to the stress of the past year as an explanation for the recent violence in the city and noted people have been “trapped” in their homes due to the pandemic. He echoed Taylor’s calls for people to seek help.
“We certainly don’t want these situations to get to a point where we are standing in front of the podium having to talk about the tragedies that we are today,” he said.
If you are a victim of domestic violence, The National Domestic Violence Hotline allows you to speak confidentially with trained advocates online or by the phone, which they recommend for those who think their online activity is being monitored by their abuser (800-799-7233). They can help survivors develop a plan to achieve safety for themselves and their children.
Contributing: Justin L. Mack, Ethan May and Johnny Magdaleno, IndyStar; Romina Ruiz-Goiriena, USA TODAY.
Follow reporter Lawrence Andrea on Twitter: @lawrencegandrea
Democrats want to renew the expired Violence Against Women Act, again:Here’s what you need to know