Home News Groom shot dead in Ottawa 10 months after surviving wedding mass shooting

Groom shot dead in Ottawa 10 months after surviving wedding mass shooting



The Canadian groom at a wedding disrupted by gunfire in September was found dead with a gunshot wound to his face at the start of the weekend, authorities said Tuesday.

A single gunman shot 28-year-old Adam Abdullahi Elmi at point-blank range while the victim was sitting in his car outside an Ottawa burrito restaurant Friday night, police sources told the CBC.

The victim previously survived a mass shooting that left two bystanders dead and six others wounded at his Sept. 2 wedding. Investigators found 50 rounds of ammunition at the site of the chaotic scene that sent 200 wedding guests running for cover.

Police believe multiple shooters were involved in the incident at Ottawa’s Infinity Convention Centre, where another wedding was also taking place.

“[The shooting] was focused on individuals believed to be attending one of the weddings,” police said at the time. “We do not believe, however, that any of the victims of this brazen and careless attack were the intended targets.”

Investigators told the CBC they were “pursuing all leads” surrounding Elmi’s apparent assassination, and attempting to determine if it’s connected to the bloody wedding.

The Ottawa Police Service said Tuesday it was looking for 23-year-old Kennedid Atteyeh, who may have been an accessory after the fact to Elmi’s murder. Authorities believe the 6-foot-4 suspect may have fled the country.

Investigators reportedly told CTV News they believe Friday’s killing was targeted. The outlet said the victim was shot “several times.”

Black Muslims attending the wedding last summer told the CBC they worried the shooting might have been motivated by bias. Police however found it unlikely they were dealing with a hate crime.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here