The death of George Floyd after a police officer pinned him to the ground for nearly nine minutes has sparked global outrage and widespread protests – with many pushing for change in the policing world and in attitudes towards people of colour. Now the city of Minneapolis agreed to pay $27 million (£19.4 million) to settle a lawsuit by the family of George Floyd over his death in police custody.
Benjamin Crump, an attorney for the Floyd family, said the agreement was the largest pre-trial settlement of a wrongful death lawsuit in US history.
Mr Crump said at a news conference the size signifies a Black person’s death at the hands of police “will no longer be written off as trivial, unimportant or unworthy of consequences,”.
He was joined at the conference by Floyd’s relatives, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and other officials.
His sister Bridgett Floyd said in a statement the Floyd family was “pleased that this part of our tragic journey to justice for my brother George is resolved.”
Her statement added: “While our hearts are broken, we are comforted in knowing that even in death, George Floyd showed the world how to live.”
Read More: George Floyd: Fears Minneapolis will burn again as trial begins
How many children did George Floyd have?
Floyd is said to have had five children, including two daughters who live in Houston, ages six and 22, and an adult son in Bryan, Texas.
Six-year-old Gianna Floyd told Good Morning America on Tuesday “that [she] miss[ed] him”, describing her father as a fun man who often played with her.
Roxie Washington, her mother, had said on Good Morning America: “He would put her on his shoulders.
Chauvin’s co-defendants, three fellow officers, are accused of aiding and abetting Floyd’s murder.
The trial of Chauvin, who was fired by the police force, began earlier this week in Hennepin County’s district court on charges of murder and manslaughter.
Chauvin has pleaded not guilty and said he properly followed his police training.
Judge Peter Cahill has set aside about three weeks for jury selection in the high-profile case.
In total five men and two women had been seated as jurors as of Friday afternoon.
Last year, Floyd’s relatives sued the city, Chauvin and three other police officers involved in federal court, saying police used excessive force against Floyd in violation of his constitutional rights.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey promised on Friday the city would be “unrelenting” in reforming its police department however, it was not clear if the city was admitting wrongdoing as part of the settlement.
City officials did not immediately respond to queries.
Speaking of the video of George Floyd’s death Mr Frey said: “Every American remembers where they were when they first saw it.
“Today’s settlement reflects our shared commitment to advancing racial justice.”
The settlement includes a $500,000 contribution from Floyd’s family to the community at the Minneapolis intersection where Floyd died, which has been barricaded against police access by residents and is filled with flowers and other tributes to Floyd.
Chauvin was helping arrest Floyd on the evening of May 25 on suspicion of his using a counterfeit $20 bill to buy cigarettes at the Cup Foods grocery store at the intersection.
The other three officers are due to go on trial later this year on charges of aiding and abetting Chauvin in Floyd’s death, which was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner.
The Minneapolis Police Department fired all four officers the day after the deadly arrest.