AN EX pro footballer stabbed a man in the back after a “row over a girl in a club”, a court heard.
Ibrahim Meite, 25, a former striker for Crawley Town F.C., was found guilty of wounding with intent, unlawful wounding and possession of a knife.
Meite, who joined Crawley on loan in 2017 from Cardiff City, was accused of stabbing Rio Amos, 24, in Putney, South London, on September 12, 2019.
Meite told the court he didn’t have a knife and only intended to punch Amos “to wind him”.
The footballer claimed he had come across Amos by chance, The Argus reports.
And that he wanted to “clear the air” after a “dispute” involving a girl at a nightclub.
The argument in the club allegedly ended with “pushing and shoving”.
During a trial at Kingston Crown Court, Prosecutor Max Hardy said it was “unlikely this was a chance passing”.
Meite encountered Amos after driving his white Mercedes to a “quiet residential street”.
The ex footy pro was with Leon Hughes, 33, who was in the front passenger seat.
Prosecutor Max Hardy told the court that CCTV footage showed the pair getting out of the car and engaging in conversation with Amos.
He added that they were “moving from side to side” before he “sidles around his back”.
Most read in News
Russia captures Chernobyl as 1st deaths reported & Boris threatens Putin
BLOOD ON HIS HANDS
Boris blasts 'bloodstained aggressor' Putin & targets Vlad's dirty money
Russia CAPTURES Chernobyl and 'takes hostages' amid nuclear disaster fears
Daughter, 24, with Down's syndrome was starved to death by mum & weighed 3st 10lbs
Chilling vid shows swarm of Russian helicopters blitzing Ukraine airport
Boris vows to 'hobble' Russia with 'massive' sanctions as Putin 'must fail'
Mr Hardy said Meite stabbed Amos in the back, “catching him unawares” while his “attention was split between the two men”.
Amos was said to have produced a large blade and stabbed Meite multiple times after he had fallen over while running from the scene.
The pair were taken to St George’s Hospital in London and both recovered.
A jury found Meite, of Roehampton, South West London, guilty of wounding with intent, unlawful wounding and possession of a knife, on February 16.
Amos, of Wandsworth, South West London, was found not guilty of wounding with intent.
And a verdict was not reached on unlawful wounding, leading to the jury being discharged.
Hughes, of Merton, South West London was found guilty of unlawful wounding and not guilty of wounding with intent, possession of a knife and intending to pervert the course of justice.
A mention hearing is due to take place today.
Meite and Hughes will be sentenced at a later date.
Meite has previously been banned from driving for 17 months after he was caught on New Year’s Eve in 2017 drunk behind the wheel in Hove.
He was taken to Brighton custody centre and was found to have 62 mg per 100 ml of breath. The legal limit is 35 mg.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours
Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.