Former President Donald Trump is planning to return to social media with his own social network, according to spokesman Jason Miller.
“I do think that we’re going to see President Trump returning to social media, probably in about two or three months here, with his own platform,” Miller told Fox News on Sunday.
“This is something that I think will be the hottest ticket in social media. It’s going to completely redefine the game. And everybody is going to be waiting and watching to see what President Trump does but it will be his own platform,” Trump’s longtime adviser said.
The reported move comes months after the former president was banned from an array of platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube – the largest social media sites in the United States.
YouTube said earlier this month it would lift Trump’s ban on the site when the “risk of incitement to violence” abates. Trump was banned for life from Twitter, which he prolifically used to promote his agenda and attack his critics. His future of presence on Facebook is currently being debated by an advisory board to the company.
Study:Anti-Asian hashtags soared after Donald Trump first tied COVID-19 to China on Twitter
Miller declined to outline whether Trump will found a social media platform independently or in partnership with already existing companies. “But it will be big once he starts,” he assured.
“There have been a lot of high-powered meetings he’s been having at Mar-a-Lago with some teams of folks who’ve been coming in,” Miller said, claiming that “numerous companies” have reached out to the former president about starting a social media venture.
“But I think the president does know what direction that he wants to head here and this new platform is going to be big and everybody wants him,” Miller said, claiming Trump’s presence would attract “millions and ten of millions” of people to the new venture.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar at SXSW:It’s time to rewrite our relationship with big tech
Fact check:Immigrants without Social Security numbers are not eligible for stimulus checks
While banned from social media, Trump’s private office has sent out emails with commentary on current events since he left the White House. The former president has also appeared for interviews on Fox News, Newsmax and One America News Network.
Some have already noted that the announcement undercuts claims from aides over the past several months that Trump is content with the public and media appearances that have characterized his post-presidential communication with the public. Others have already begun to poke fun at the project.
‘It’s a great vaccine’:Donald Trump recommends supporters get COVID-19 vaccine as polls show hesitancy