Eddie Hearn admits he understands why the WBC refused to name Dillian Whyte as Tyson Fury’s mandatory challenger… but insists the Bodysnatcher WILL win his legal battle with the organisation and face the Gypsy King
- Hearn understands why the WBC refused to order the Whyte vs Fury fight
- The Bodysnatcher has been calling for a shot at Fury’s WBC championship
- But, the WBC have refused to name Whyte as Fury’s mandatory challenger
- This is because of the legal proceedings between Whyte and the WBC
Eddie Hearn says he understands why the WBC refused to name Dillian Whyte as Tyson Fury’s mandatory challenger at their annual convention on Tuesday night.
The organisation decided not to order the Fury vs. Whyte fight at their convention in Mexico City due to the ongoing legal battle between the governing body and the Body Snatcher.
Nevertheless, Hearn is confident that Whyte will win his arbitration case and face Fury ‘in the first third of 2022’.
Eddie Hearn says he understands why the WBC refused to name Dillian Whyte (above) as Tyson Fury’s mandatory challenger at their annual convention on Tuesday night
The WBC refused to name Whyte as Tyson Fury’s mandatory challenger at their convention
Speaking to iFL TV, Hearn said: ‘I think the truth is, without the lawsuit, would he [Dillian Whyte] have even been called for the mandatory by the WBC? I think the answer is probably now or certainly with the terms that he would want.
‘The legal case and the arbitration has to make its decision, and we believe it’ll be a more favourable decision than what it would be for a standard WBC ruling.
‘The WBC said on Tuesday, ‘We can’t make a ruling because of this ongoing situation.’ I get it. We’re very confident the ruling will be in the best interest of Dillian Whyte, bearing in mind the circumstances, and he will be called the mandatory challenger to Tyson Fury.
‘I’m a bit disappointed that it didn’t take place yesterday, but Dillian and his team have been working hard behind the scenes. But we’re very confident the legal matter will be resolved, and he will be the mandatory for Tyson Fury,’
The refused to order the fight because of their ongoing legal battle with the ‘Body Snatcher’
Hearn is confident Whyte will win his arbitration case and face Fury ‘in the first third of 2022’
After defeating Wilder on October 9, the WBC revealed they would give Fury 30 days to agree an undisputed showdown against Oleksandr Usyk, or take on the ‘interim’ belt-holder – Whyte.
However, Anthony Joshua triggered a clause in his contract to force a rematch with Usyk – who beat him at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September.
Therefore, it was assumed that the WBC would have ordered a fight between Fury and Whyte at the annual meeting between the presidents of the IBF, WBA and WBO on Tuesday night.
However, the WBC chose not to order a mandatory heavyweight title fight for their belt due to the legal action Whyte took against the governing body last year.
The irony of the situation is that Whyte launched his proceedings against the WBC in June 2020 because his frustrating wait for a title shot continued to drag on.
Hearn says that Whyte is ‘ready’ to face Fury and that it is a matter of time before he does
Nevertheless, Hearn is confident that the Body Snatcher will win his legal proceedings and face Fury early next year.
When asked whether Whyte will challenge WBC heavyweight champion Fury in the first third of 2022, he said: ‘Yeah. I think it’s closing in. I don’t think we’re far away from a decision in that respect, and we’d like to make that fight early next year.
‘Dillian Whyte is ready for that fight. Probably in the early part of next year, he’ll probably resume training in the early part of next week.
‘He’s got a little bit more treatment, and then he’ll be good to go to get back into camp and then start preparing for a shot against Tyson Fury. That’s what I want, and that’s what I believe is fair, and that’s what I believe will happen,’ said Hearn.