Home News CW considers breaking TV contract with Miss USA amid allegations

CW considers breaking TV contract with Miss USA amid allegations



The 73rd Miss USA Pageant is scheduled to take place in early August, but its live TV broadcast hangs in the balance amid mounting controversy within the organization.

The CW, which airs the annual beauty pageant once owned by Donald Trump, has launched an investigation into recent claims alleged by contestants and staffers.

Miss USA 2023 Noelia Voigt and Miss Teen USA 2023 UmaSofia Srivastava resigned from their positions within days of one another, accusing the organizers of abuse and bullying earlier this month.

In her resignation letter, Voigt called the organization a “toxic work environment” and attributed her shocking exit to what she said was “at best … poor management and, at worst … bullying and harassment.”

Days earlier, the organization’s social media director, Claudia Engelhardt, announced her resignation, stating she “[disavows] workplace toxicity and bullying of any kind.”

In late April, The CW renewed its agreement to broadcast both Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants, which reportedly have become a ratings draw. But the network on Thursday said it’s now looking into the accusations and will be making a decision on how to proceed.

“We don’t condone any kind of bullying, obviously all of that stuff is very, very concerning,” Brad Schwartz, CW’s president of entertainment, told Deadline. “We’re going to take a minute and investigate it and have all the conversations and gather all the information before we make a decision.”

“The important thing here is to champion the women,” he added. “The last thing we want to do is just pull out and not give them the opportunity to be on TV because this is what their whole lives have been about. We’re going to wait and see what happens.”



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here