Beijing hit back at the accusations on Thursday after US officials in China purportedly demanded no such tests are conducted on US staff. A Chinese state department spokesperson issued a statement denying the claims following reports in the US media which suggested the tests had taken place.
Writing to CNN, they said: “The State Department never agreed to this kind of testing and protested directly to [China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs] when we learned that some staff were subject to it.
“We have received assurances from [the ministry] that this was in error and that diplomatic personnel are exempt from this testing requirement.
“We have instructed staff to decline this test if it is asked of them (as was done in the past).”
China’s foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told a press briefing: “To my knowledge, China has never required US diplomatic staff stationed in China to conduct anal swab tests.”
The news comes as tensions between the two world powers continue to rise.
Earlier this month, Joe Biden’s top diplomat told Beijing the new US Administration will hold it accountable for any human rights violations towards its allies.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken issued the warning during a phone conversation with senior Beijing official Yang Jiechi.
He stressed that the US would protect democratic rights in Xinjiang, Hong Kong and Tibet.
The coup has ramped up the friction between Washington and Beijing, which has close links to Myanmar’s military.
In response to Mr Blinken’s warning, Mr Yang said Washington should “correct” its recent errors and stressed both parties must respect each other’s political paths.
He said: “No one can stop the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.”