The snake bite happened whilst Marley the cocker spaniel was off the lead on a walk and ventured into bushes in Langdon Hills Country Park, Essex. Holly Morgan-Jones, the dog’s owner noticed the snake which helped explain the incident to the vets.
Holly’s husband Martin spoke to the Southend Echo about the incident, he said: “It gets quite scary when they start talking about anti-venom and what not.
“He had just yelped when he was sniffing some bushes, and came running back to Holly. She walked over to where he had been and she saw the adder slithering away.
“You wouldn’t think it would be a snake until she saw it there.
“Holly was really distressed when she came back, you could start to see the bite marks starting to appear.
“We managed to get him to the vets within 20 minutes.”
Marley stayed at the vets from Monday to Wednesday afternoon.
Mr Morgan-Jones, added: “I wouldn’t want to tell dog owners to keep their dogs on leads at all times because of the fear of snakes, but just to be more cautious and aware than we were.
“I would say just to become aware of their habitat and where the snakes will be.”
READ MORE: Moment rescue dog realises they have a forever home
A claim for an adder bite will on average cost the dog owner £936.
Head of Marketing at Agria Pet Insurance, Tom Vaughan, explained how important it is to recognise symptoms of a bite to save your dog’s life.
“Dealing with an adder bite can be very traumatic for both dogs and their owners and, if not treated swiftly and appropriately, can prove fatal.
He continued: “We want to draw owners’ attention to this time being right in the middle of the period where we handle most of our claims for adder bites.”